Saturday, December 25, 2010

Christmas

Christmas is here, and in the words of one friend, "It's just a funky year." You could say that...

I'm sitting in my apartment in Lafayette, seventeen of my teammates are doing the same, some have visitors and family, and others are going about their business like it's any other day. I talked to my family this morning to wish them well, I opened a package sent for me, and I made myself something to eat. We're all getting ready for our game tonight at 7pm, and then tomorrow morning we'll board a bus and travel to Mississippi for a Sunday game. From there we travel to Columbus, Georgia, return to Louisiana early Wednesday morning, and then leave again Friday morning, only to return for a New Year's Day game on Saturday here in Lafayette. It's a crazy stretch, with six games over the next eight days, and the holidays being here.

It's safe to say that Christmas in 2010 doesn't have the same feel as Christmas in 2009, but I guess that's the way the world goes, and a lot can change in only a year's time. The last time I saw my parents was for a brief three-week stretch back in June, before I decided to leave home for what proved to be more of a lesson about life and people than I even thought possible. I haven't seen my twenty-three year old brother since last Christmas, which is a weird feeling. Things are just a little cookoo-for-cocoa puffs if you catch my drift.

I guess in hindsight it's fair to say that Christmas really is just another day, unless you have family, friends, and loved ones to spend time around. It's a different feeling when you spend the day at home, mostly with yourself, and preparing for a game. It's almost impossible to recognize the day as a holiday, but you do what you got to do. Just like any other day.

Merry Christmas to everybody.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Holdays Dags : ) We are thinking of you! Good luck and play hard!

    ReplyDelete